Our art keeps trash out of Hawaii's landfills!
* Our studio is closed due to COVID-19 so we are not currently accepting donations. *
At Art Explorium we reuse “trash” items as much as possible. Making art from discarded items gives children the freedom to be creative while also showing them the importance of using our planet’s limited resources carefully. Donations from you help keep us going. But unfortunately we can’t accept everything.
Please also know that we have A LOT of donations and not that much space. Donated materials may be shared with schools and other non-profits, or may end up in the recycle/trash bin. If you know anyone else who could use your materials, we’d love for you to share with them first 🙂
BEFORE DONATING PLEASE MAKE SURE TO:
- Check our list of “Stuff We Can Use” and “Stuff We Can’t Use”
- PLEASE CALL THE STUDIO if you have a large donation of any item(s) or if you have special item(s) not on our list: 808-312-4316
- Organize items before dropping off. If it takes a lot of time to sort through the items, we may not be able to take it.
- Check our weekly Open Studio hours on our calendar for drop off times – PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE DONATIONS OUTSIDE OUR DOORS WHEN WE’RE CLOSED.
*We reserve the right to turn down donations that we cannot use, or items not in good condition (clean and sorted)*
Stuff We Can Use:
- Toilet Paper Rolls
- Paper Towel Rolls
- Cereal Boxes (Flattened would be great! We’ll cut up the cardboard and use it for art!)
- Plastic Bottle Caps *PLEASE NOTE: we can’t accept medicine or vitamin caps*
- Beer Bottle Caps
- Soda Can Tabs
- Rubber Bands
- Used Wires (Especially telephone wire or other wire that’s not sharp or rusty)
- Other small odds & ends like Buttons, Feathers and Keys
Stuff We CAN’T Use:
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Egg Cartons
- Yogurt Containers
- Plastic Bottles and Containers
- Medicine Bottles or Caps
- Cardboard Beer Carriers
- Six-Pack Rings
- Aluminum Cans
- Glass Items
- Food Items/containers
- Large, dirty or dangerous items (Furniture, Electronic Waste, Large Boxes, etc.)
*Art and Craft Supplies: Please call the studio*
For more information on how to recycle and dispose of your trash materials, please visit the Honolulu City & County Department of Environmental Services.