Saturday, November 24, 10 am – 3 pm
Join us this holiday season as we combine imagination and sustainability! We’ll provide fun activities, upcycled gifts and ideas on how to cut down on waste for the holidays. Prices are very affordable, ranging from FREE to around $10. Free valet parking is available at Lili`uokalani Elementary School.
This year’s Reuse mART coincides with Keep It Kaimuki’s Small Business Saturday events so there will be lots of other fun family activities happening in our neighborhood. There will also be valet parking available to make your day a little easier. Thanks for supporting local!
Stop by the Reuse mART to:
- Shop our one-of-a-kind “trash to treasure” kits (they come in all the colors of the rainbow!)
- Decoupage earth-friendly, hand-made candles for holiday gifts
- Shop handmade items from local artisans, including all-natural soap from the Indigenous Soap Company, beautiful tea towels by Asham Prints, upcycled jewelry by Amelia Pastiche Design, adorable Socktopus Plushies by Nobu Yasuda. Also purchase handmade crayons in cute tropical shapes
- Purchase greeting cards and wrapping paper, all made from recycled or donated materials
- Make aromatic and delicious salts with our friends from Kōkua Hawai`i Foundation
- Purchase stainless steel straws and bamboo utensil sets from Plastic Free Hawaii
- Screenprint reusable cloth napkins to use with your new straws and utensil sets
- Design your own ornaments and holiday cards
- Learn about the art of felting and buy kits to make adorable felted creations
- Shop high-quality art, craft, and gift wrap items that have been donated to Art Explorium
- Get some Art Explorium swag including t-shirts, aprons, and gift certificates for the keiki on your list
- Learn more about reducing holiday and everyday waste
- Bring your own mug or borrow one of ours to enjoy a tasty holiday beverage
- Questions? Contact us at 312-4316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rainbow Trash-to-Treasure Kits ($4)
Cut down on waste and help support our children’s art programs by purchasing one of our fun DIY art kits. All kits are made from donated materials and assembled by our amazing volunteers. This year we’ve been bottling them in all the colors of the rainbow! Choose from Pretty Pink, Rockin’ Red, Obsessed with Orange, Yay for Yellow, Galactic Green, Bottled Blue, Purple Power, Winter White & Stellar Silver
Keep in mind that no two kits are exactly alike, and that’s what makes them special! Take yours home and make art that’s as unique as you are. And don’t be afraid to add other recycled materials that you find around the house: Cardboard, bottle caps, shopping bags, discarded gift wrap, boxes and paper towel rolls all make fun additions to any creative reuse project.
Grab a candle and get busy decorating! We’ll provide handmade candles in reused glass jars. You get to decoupage to your heart’s content. The perfect gift for a green holiday and to help your loved ones prepare for next hurricane season. 🙂
Need some stocking stuffers? Shop handmade items from local artisans, including soap from the Indigenous Soap Company, Socktopus Plushies made from fabric scraps by Nobu Yasuda, and more. Art Explorium volunteers have also been busy making homemade crayons in adorable tropical shapes.
Instead of purchasing brand new store-bought gift wrap, why not pick up some that’s made from donated & recycled paper? Check out our hand-cut cards & gift tags, and wrapping paper that’s been hand-stamped by our wonderful volunteers.
All Natural Salts
Our friends from Kōkua Hawai`i will be here showing us how to make aromatic and delicious salts with all natural ingredients! Make these yummy salts for yourself or give them to someone special. They will also have eco-friendly items for sale such as bamboo utensil sets, metal straws, and more, so we can all live a little more Plastic Free.
Screenprint Napkin Sets
Make your own napkin set to go with your new bamboo utensil set and other items from Kokua Hawaii Foundation. Screenprinter April Sham will be here to help you design and make one-of-a-kind cloth napkins with a tropical flair!
Our felting instructor Wendy is assembling felting kits for purchase. Buy a large one that include tools, colors and types of wool that you can pick out yourself for a broad range of options, or buy a small kit that includes the supplies needed to make an emoji or snowman ornament.
New & Gently Used Art Supplies
So many amazing art & craft supplies are donated to Art Explorium and we just can’t use everything we get. Shop a variety of affordable items including excellent quality scrapbooking flowers, beads, ribbon, boxes, paper, tins, and more!
Free Art Activities
We’re making holiday cards and ornaments out of recycled and donated materials. Make them as a family or let the kids get creative while adults shop our gift section.
Resources on Reducing Holiday Waste
12 Days to a Green Holiday Bookmark (Kokua Hawaii Foundation)
Green Holiday Educator Guide (Kokua Hawaii Foundation)
Green Holiday Educator Guide Vol. 2 (Kokua Hawaii Foundation)
Simplify the Holidays (Center for a New American Dream)
Green Your Holidays (American Museum of Natural History)
The Most Wasteful Time of Year Infographic (Center for Biological Diversity)
Plastic-Free Shopping Guide (The 5 Gyres Institute)
Donating to Art Explorium
Mahalo for your support! The Reuse mART and other Art Explorium programs are made possible by your generous contributions. Before donating recycled materials to us, please take a moment to look over the kinds of items we can and can’t accept. Please also note that we can we can only accept product donations during studio hours. For more info, contact us at 312-4316.