Creative Reuse Open House for Educators 2.0 (Appointment Required)
Each year we offer a fun, educational & FREE Creative Reuse Open House for Educators and we held this year’s on Saturday, July 25. Because the event went well and because we want to share more supplies with teachers before we move out of our Kaimuki studio, we are holding an additional Open House on Saturday, November 21, with new “stARTer Kits” for teachers to take home. Pre-registration is required. We will offer different resources at this event so even if you attended the last one, this will still be worth your time! We will also have a special “Simplify the Holidays” theme this time since the holiday season is coming up.
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL.
To be added to the waitlist please email Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mahalo!
We will offer the following at our event:
- Creative Reuse Project Ideas: This year we will feature four of our creative reuse art project ideas. For each project we will make a “stARTer Kit” available to educators. Each stARTer Kit will contain a lesson plan and supplies that will help teachers do this project with their students either virtually or in the classroom. Students may also need to gather some items that should be readily available in most homes (for example, crayons, cereal/cracker boxes, etc.). Educators who attend our Open House will get to choose from a menu of stARTer Kits and we will hand your kits to you. See below for more information on what stARTer Kits will be available.
- Other Arts & Sustainability Organizations: We will provide resources from other sustainability and arts organizations for each participants. Kokua Hawaii Foundation be present at our event and will provide participants with an awesome Simplify the Holidays stARTer Kit of their own. Manoa Heritage Center will also be there to share their resources for educators.
- Art Supplies: We will put some bins of excess art supplies outside. Teachers can put on a fresh pair of gloves, look through supplies and take what they need, then dispose of their gloves.
Each participant will also receive a super cute Keep It Kaimuki tote bag and an Endangered Species Light Catchers stARTer Kit (this project can be used by students as a holiday ornament, gift tag, or bookmark project).
The stARTer Kits that will be available at our November Open House are listed below. Each educator can choose up to two kits to take home (more if we have enough). In addition, each teacher will receive an Endangered Species Light Catchers stARTer Kit which can be use as a holiday bookmark, gift tag, or ornament!
- My Autobiography: Go on a voyage of creativity and self-discovery with these handmade autobiographies. Related academic subjects: Language Arts, Social Studies. Grade level: 3-5 (adjustable)
- Cork Sailboats: Will it sink or will it float? Make a boat out of used corks and let your imagination take you away! Related academic subjects: Mathematics, Science. Grade level: K-2 (adjustable)
- Book Diorama: Make a cereal box diorama to illustrate and share a fiction or non-fiction book you have read. Related academic subject: Language Arts. Grade level: 3-5 (adjustable)
- Reminder Cards: Design handy reminder cards to post in places where you will see them to remind you about simple tasks you can complete to help our planet. Related academic subject: Language Arts. Grade level: 3-5 (adjustable)
We require that all participants wear a mask, social distance, and remain outside our studio space in the fresh air. We will provide gloves and hand sanitizer to all participants. We will schedule all participants during 10 minute increments and limit the number of people who can attend during each time slot. Unfortunately we will not be able to offer keiki art activities.
These programs are generously sponsored by the Johnson Ohana Foundation, founded by Jack and Kim Johnson to support environmental, art, and music education now and into the future.